That ol' Soviet feeling

Bishop Hill has been busy writing the book on the Hockey Stick saga. Getting knowledgeable people to review the book, however, proves to be a bit bothersome. In a post entitled Climate of Fear the Bishop shares a (redacted to protect the innocent) email he received from a contact:
Asked for names of potential writers, I feel like an early Lutheran asked to identify his fellow readers of English bibles and knowing that Sir Thomas Gore, sorry More, is reading my letters and tightening his thumbscrews in Chelsea. In other words, like you, I know lots of people who are on side privately but daren't say so publicly. The other day I bumped into ************** at an event and said something about his global warming views (sceptical) and he froze and said `I don't do that stuff now - people would not touch me if I did'.
And this is the 'Free West' we are living in? Where people are too afraid to give their independent opinion, for fear of social ostracism? When and how did this dreadful state of affairs come about?

[UPDATE001] Or how about this one: Andrew Revkin, NYT columnist and famous for his supporting role in the climategate emails, made some less then earnest remarks about the climate summit in Copenhagen. Promptly he received an email from climatologist Michael Schlesinger:
The vibe that I am getting from here, there and everywhere is that your reportage is very worrisome to most climate scientists. Of course, your blog is your blog. But, I sense that you are about to experience the ‘Big Cutoff’ from those of us who believe we can no longer trust you, me included.
If anything, it is this exact attitude that made the Climategate emails so shocking. Not easy learning the lesson, apparently.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...