Meanwhile, over at the WSJ

In The Wall Street Journal, we find a lengthy op-ed by the man himself: European Free Speech Under Attack by Geert Wilders. I urge you to read the whole thing. But for those in a hurry, here's the punch line:
My trial is a political trial. It is tragic that after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1989, political trials in Europe were not cast onto the ash heap of history. Former Soviet dissident Vladimir Bukovsky has previously referred to the European Union as the "EUSSR." One of his arguments is that in the EU, as in the former USSR, there is no freedom of speech.

I should be acquitted. My trial in Amsterdam is not about me, but about freedom of speech in Europe. As Dwight D. Eisenhower, Europe's liberator from Nazism, once warned, freedom "must be daily earned and refreshed—else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die." Today in Europe, freedom is being neither earned nor refreshed.
I think this is the first time Wilders referred to the EUnion in terms of "EUSSR". That will probably not endear him to our masters abroad and at home. But 'Yay!' for him for doing so.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...